Wednesday, December 3, 2014

London: Maritime & the Tower & Shakespear

Tuesday morning we visited Westminster Abbey and it exceeded expectations.
Honestly, it's magnificent.

It's right across the street from Parliament. 

We also took a river cruise and went under the Tower Bridge.
On our way back they lifted the bridge to let a boat pass but I didn't get a good photo.

Due to laziness or inattention we took the boat all the way down to Greenwich.
On the hill in Greenwich is where the maritime museum is and where time is standardized.
Happily it was almost 1:00pm London time which means it was going to be exactly noon maritime so we could see the ball drop.

Excited and anti-climatic.
We're assuming that NYC got their idea for a ball dropping from here.

The afternoon was beautifully sunny so we decided to visit the Tower of London.
I feel like it's similar to Windsor Castle with ancient structures in the middle of a modern town.
If you ever go, make sure you get the guided tour. Excellent and funny.

The queen has an official residence here (she has 4 total).



We loved it.

Tuesday evening we went to Shakespeare's Globe Theater to see Comedy of Errors,
which is hilarious.

I feel like I must be growing up since I understood most of it without even knowing the premise beforehand. My high school English teachers would be so proud!

I don't know about you but I'm exhausted just reading about this trip.
Again, you don't want to travel with us, we never take a break.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like this was a beautiful and fantastic day of your trip. I saw comedy of errors over the summer and really enjoyed it.
    Whenever I see crows I think about the crows at the Tower of London. It made me laugh that they clipped their wings so that in theory the Windsors would always rule England.

    ReplyDelete