Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Poster and Swimming

Here I am representing my poster at the conference. I ordered the poster and looked at it before I left California. I thought it all seemed okay until I presented it to the first person that asked me to see my poster. As I started explaining it, I realized that 3 of my 4 plots were missing a very important line. I probably should have just drawn it in with a marker, but I hated marking up my nice poster with a marker.

This picture is with Daesung who worked on the project with me quite a bit.

The second night of the conference, Tom Kenny invited the Stanford affiliates to a wonderful dinner of ultra spicy Szechuan food. Since I don't drink alcohol, they gave me green bean puree which tasted 'very healthy' if you know what I mean. It did become sweeter as my mouth became hotter.

The quarter before I went to China, I took a swimming class. I heard it was possible to go swimming there and so I went to work trying to make it happen. I stopped by the Cube at night (so beautiful) and the prices were in normal numbers but all the text around it was in Chinese. I took a picture of the prices so a friend of mine could translate it for me.

Getting into the water cube was quite the adventure. They had the prices listed in regular numbers and the description next to it in Chinese. Most places like restaurants had pictures on the menu so you could point to order. Anyways, I saw one lady translating the sign into English for her friend. I told them that I wanted to swim and they were planning on doing that too (the other options were just to go inside or go to the water park). Apparently, the one translating had a membership or something. They helped me get to the pool. To swim in the deep end, I needed to take a swim test but you were supposed to pay to take the swim test. I hadn't paid so my new friend talked the lady into taking the money at the pool. I doubt the money made it to the swim test money fund, but I got to swim so I was happy.

The picture above is just a nice Olympic panorama in the Aquatics Center.

This was me in the actual competition area (they only let you swim in the warm up pool). I was happy I got this shot cause my camera battery was out for the count but I coaxed it into giving me one more shot.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is one gorgeous square when it's all lit up at night. They must have been worried about you peeing in their pool - that's why the security was so high. They'd seen photo-bombing Chinese people's pictures all week so they figured you were up to no good.

    China. Seriously, what an extremely foreign experience...

    ReplyDelete